This week, we go over the Turtle Pose. Inspired by the patient turtle, this pose increases mental focus and stretches the arms, back and legs. This pose looks like a turtle withdrawing into it’s shell!
Ages: Young kids to teens (great for younger kids to foster focus and calmness)
Mantra: I am Calm
Turtles are strong and resilient. Did you know that turtle shells are what makes them unique and protects them from the environment? This pose is great for children who feel overwhelmed, stressed and need some time to focus and relax. When emotions are running high, think about the calm and patient turtle and withdraw into your inner shell.
- Sit with your legs stretched out, legs flat and knees bent
- Place the palms of your hands flat on the floor. Take a few deep breaths.
- Then, bending forward at the waist, begin sliding your arms under your legs
- Time to get into your shell - fold forward and face the ground.
- Hold this pose, take deep breath and settle in your turtle shell. Imagine you are a turtle, swimming through the vast ocean.
- Promotes calmness and focus
- Stretches the arms, legs and back
- Opens the hips