We love teaching the Cobra Pose to kids of all ages. Just as the mighty cobra sheds its skin, this pose inspires change and reflection. The cobra’s unique ability to shed its skin allows it to continually transform and renew itself. When doing this pose, think to yourself “I am open to change.” Just as the snake changes, we are constantly changing and transforming ourselves. This pose is also a great way to build upper body strength for little ones!
Ages: All ages, great for preschoolers as a belly exercise
Mantra: I am open to change
This pose is great for stretching the back and legs, while opening the heart out to the world. When doing this pose, we encourage children to imagine the world as a cobra. As a fun twist, encourage your child to make snake hisses as a breathing exercise.
- Lie on your tummy with legs stretched out behind you.
- Place your palms beside your shoulders on the ground.
- Join the legs together, tightening them - imagining they are together as one.
- Inhale deeply. Press into your palms and begin to lift your upper body. Gently lift your head, chest, and shoulders off the ground.
- Tighten the abs, buttocks and thighs.
- Look up to the ceiling and then straight ahead. Make sure your neck and arms remain straight.
- Take a few deep breaths and stay in the pose. Hiss like a cobra!
- Stretches the spine, back and belly muscles
- Elevates mood
- Strengthens the spine and shoulder muscles
- Opens the heart, increasing circulation throughout the body